|Library ISBN 978-0-7660-3766-3|
Paper ISBN 978-1-59845-273-0
Shepherd's Pie is a crustless pie, containing meat and some vegetables, topped with mashed potatoes. This recipe makes 4 servings.
3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 teaspoons salt
6 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup sour cream
1 large onion, minced
1 large carrot, chopped
1 pound ground beef or ground lamb
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup beef broth
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Boil potatoes in a large pot of salted water on the stove for 15-20 minutes, until tender.
2. While potatoes cook, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large frying pan. Sauté onion for about 10 minutes and then add carrot. Add ground beef and cook until meat is no longer pink.
3. Add garlic, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, and beef broth.
4. Ask an adult to help you remove the potatoes from the stove. Drain in a colander and then place in a large mixing bowl. Add 4 tablespoons of butter, sour cream, and a dash of salt and pepper. Mash potatoes until creamy.
5. Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Spread beef mixture in a buttered baking dish. Evenly spread mashed potatoes on top of the beef. Use a fork to make small peaks in the potatoes. Bake in oven for 25 minutes and place under broiler for 5 minutes, or until top is lightly browned.
6. Remove from oven. Cool for 5 minutes and serve.